Co-curricular activities in school are those that are not a part of the regular academic curriculum. They are also known as extra-curricular activities. These activities are present across all levels of education. In some schools participating in these activities is compulsory whereas a few schools keep them voluntary. The activities are directed by the faculty and sometimes external help is also taken from experts.
Such activities mostly include inter-house competitions, annual days, parent’s day, sports, performing arts, debates and much more.
These activities are not examined as the regular curriculum, but they are as important as the academic curriculum, followed in school. They form the core of a student’s life and aid the students in developing competition spirit, creative thinking, balancing priorities and team spirit. Following are some reasons why co curricular activities in school are important –
- Extra-curricular activities help students to develop their all-round personality and handle different kinds of tasks and challenges. Such activities include a lot of team work, thinking out of the box, matching up to competition and working in pressure. These skills are extremely useful in future when these students work in corporate and face challenges daily.
- A student who is active with co curricular activities develop attributes like competitive spirit, co-operation, team leading, people management, punctuality, diligence along with developing one of their major talents. This improves the student’s self confidence and creates a sense of achievement in him/her.
- Admissions in colleges are very competitive. Higher the percentage the better chances of the student of making through. But students with a good track record of participating in co curricular activities in school have a very good chance of getting admissions upfront as colleges and institutes prefer students who are involved in many more activities apart from academic curriculum.
- Also physical activities that are an essential part of extra- curricular activities help the students to remain fit and refresh their mind. Also such activities keep students away from harmful indulgence like drugs, crime, etc.
- Candidates who have rich extracurricular background in school life are a suitable choice for employment by recruiters. They are valuable student experiences that recruiters lookout for.
These activities are absolutely essential as they develop the student intellectually. The kind of exposure these activities provide is not possible to be accomplished through theoretic means. They are extremely helpful in developing the student’s talent. They are a good breather from the regular classroom teaching and refresh the child’s mind to concentrate better. It is important that parent’s too take part in these activities and encourage their children to perform better.